Re: Duty time for alternator or dynamo

To: bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Duty time for alternator or dynamo
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:01:29 -0600
At 11:07 PM 11/11/01 -0600, bullwinkle wrote:
>Does anyone know the duty time as a % of max output for a dynamo or
>alternator?
>So, at what percentage can a dynamo or alternator be reliably continuously
>run with out endangering it's health?  I wouldn't think it would be at 100%.

I believe either a dynamo or an alternator (automotive type) can be run
continuously and indefinitely at its full rated output.  The key word here
is "rated".  In reference to meltdown, the problem you run into is when you
force the device (either one) to put out more current that it is rated
for.  This is usually a result of a failure of the voltage regulator to the
full on condition, and in my experience the dynamo seems to be much more
susceptible to this problem.  If you were to connect a 12 volt supply wire
directly to the field terminal on the dynamo and run the engine at highway
cruising speed, you can expect imminent failure of the dynamo in a matter
of five minutes or less.  BTDT (more than once).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
     http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///