Re: Parts for cam replacement

To: spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo
Subject: Re: Parts for cam replacement
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:30:57 -0600
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:17:03 -0400 "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
writes:
> Hi list, I am about to take the plunge and go back to a stock cam.
> Members
> on the list have recommended I purchase new lifters and push rods.
> When I
> rebuilt my cam these parts were new. Is it necessary to buy these
> parts
> when putting in a new cam? Thanks, Enrique

Definitely the lifters, maybe the pushrods.  Roll the pushrods on a piece
of glass to ensure they are straight.  If they are bent at all, replace
them.  Depending upon the lifters that you are taking out, they may also
be the wrong length for the new ones, you'll have to check to make sure.
I know of no reason why they should be replaced as a matter of course
when you replace the cam, but maybe another lister will tell us.

Remember, when starting the car for the first time run it at no less than
2500 rpm for at least 20 minutes.  This allows the cam to "run-in."
Generally speaking the lifters will wear in to conform to the lobe on the
cam.  Once you've run the motor you can't swap lifters around, nor can
you use used lifters with another cam.  If you do, you risk premature
wear.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD