Factory Hardtop Parts

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Factory Hardtop Parts
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:22:01 -0500
David Council has a factory h.t. that sounds like it's in the same condition
as the one I bought back in 1994 for about $100.  Mine needed a side window
& the lower & forward window frame pieces.  I thought it would be no problem
getting them.  Boy was I wrong, ... and happily right too.

I was able to get some odds 'n ends parts from Vic Brit.  Even now, you will
find some pieces in their catalog on page 62.  But the frame  pieces weren't
and aren't among them.

After calling all over the U.S. to wrecking yards that carry British cars, I
found a yard in Wisconsin that said they had a couple of MGB hardtops.  But,
it would be a while until they could get to "the back 40" to check them.
After weeks of waiting I called & was told that they didn't have what I
needed.  Or, so they said.

By chance, I was talking to another MG guy who steered me to Bromsgrove MG
Centre.  I called them & they consulted their computer and sure enough had a
COMPLETE side window with all 3 frame pieces in stock.  I bought that and a
new Tickford top for my then 1980 MGB for $300 delivered including shipping
and duty.

So, David, I don't know if you could find what you need in the U.K.  But, it
is worth a try.  There are many MG shops listed in the British auto mags.
Give them a try via email or phone.

BTW, I believe you can authenticate "Factory" hardtops.  They have a "W"
(for Webasto (sp?))cast into the lower rear piece and a serial number hidden
away.  I think my top's serial # is something like 7313.

Good luck in your quest.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB - daily driver, occasional utility truck, boat carrier & vintage
racer
'59 Turner with Spridget power
-- Both with O.E.White hardtops

///