Re: Vent window frame removal

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vent window frame removal
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 16:31:55 -0000
No special tools, but you may well find the pivot bolt and nut have corroded
if you need to separate the two halves, mine were and snapped off both
sides.  New pivot bolts, nuts and springs are available but there is a brass
tube that goes between the bolt and spring and this wasn't available from
the usual places.  However I went to a model shop and they had lengths of
tubing in several sizes.  All were noticeably thinner than the original, but
I found that one size of tubing fitted snugly inside the next size (or two)
up and together they were about the right thickness.  Grease liberally on
reassembly.  The front glass runner bolts to a slotted plate at the bottom
of the door, the slot gives the adjustment that controls how the 1/4-light
frame engages with the seal down the side of the screen.  Adjust this so
they are barely touching, any closer and you will get the Crack Of Doom in
your door skin.  While you have the 1/4-light frame out you might like to
reinforce the leading end of the glass aperture in the skin as double
protection agains the COD, I have a picture on the web site below showing
where I mean, click 'Spanners' and 'Doors'.  Later doors may already have
this mod, the Heritage shell doors do, at least.

PaulH
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk