two month starting/running saga-solved!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: two month starting/running saga-solved!
From: Montgomery Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:48:47 -0800
Whew...finally.

Thanks to everyone that has offered advice for the past months about our
79B that quit running/starting.
After sanding/checking all connections in car, installing new ign. switch,
coil, ballast, electronic ignition, relays, and checking voltage/resistance
throughout the car, I sent it to a mechanic that has 28 year experience w/
imports. He checked all circuits out and solved the problem. He said he
empathizied with my frustration because it was a difficult problem for an
amateur mechanic without the proper tools to diagnose.
It turns out the distributor cam shaft has too much play (.230 vertically
and .17 laterally). I guess this is a lot?? The vertical play causes the
electronic ignition shutter to hit the photoelectric pickup apparatus and
the optical trigger can't read the signal which in turn causes the timing
to fluctuate wildly causing the car to die or not start. He siliconed the
shutter in place as a temporary fix. I drove it an hour home today and it
ran fine, although he said the problem must be remedied because it will
continue to happen (as you said it would, Charles 8-)).

I told him that several of you had suggested putting points in, he says he
prefers points but that the distributor is too worn for this retrofit to work.
Does this make sense to those of you that are "mechanically" endowed?

So I guess I'm in the market for a new distributor, or could I have it
rebuilt cheaper? It seems that sometime in the last several months it has
been discussed who is really good at rebuilding distributors. Could someone
refresh my memory?

It's great to be able to tap into the expertise of so many MG enthusiasts.
Someday I hope to be able to give advice and not just be on the receiving end!

Smiling again,
Monte

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list