Re: MGB Rear Hub Removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Rear Hub Removal
From: GW71MGB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:01:36 EST
Thanks for all the responses.  What got me confused about finding a socket
that fit is that the replacement hub I bought (almost a year ago) turned out
to be a wrong hub!  The ID of the replacement hub I bought was quite a bit
smaller than that of the proper MGB hub.  Even a thin wall socket wouldn't
fit.

For those others of you who expressed interest in the same question:  The
required socket size is indeed 1-5/16".  I was able to order a perfectly good
socket from McMaster Carr for around $ 10 USD.  (For anyone who hasn't tried
their site: it's great.  Access to tens of thousands of items, and I received
it in one day.).

It turns out that the driver's side hub nut was really seized.  I ended up
using a punch through the cotter pin access hole, and whacking the castle nut
loose a bit at a time.

Anyways, I ended up ordering two new rear hubs from Moss (expensive, but
finding good used rear hubs is quite a challenge - there are plenty of good
front hubs out there, though.)   My '71 MGB is back on it's own four wheels
for the first time in a year.

By the way, can anyone identify this hub?  The wheel splines are standard
Brit wire wheel pitch, the the ID spline that goes on the axle shaft is very
different from an MGB: it has only six splines.  I want to put it back up for
sale, but I don't know what it goes to.

A picture is available at :  http://members.aol.com/gw71mgb/hub.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Gary