Re: Dipstick Tube Installation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dipstick Tube Installation
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 19:32:23 -0600
Bullwinkle wrote:

> Lawrie:
>
> Are some people really that dumb?
>
> Blake
>
> <<<snip>>>
> Not specifically, Blake, but loose dipstick tubes are not an uncommon
> problem on MGBs, and there existed - in my mind, at least - the possibility
> that someone might try to follow your advice on an assembled engine which
> had a loose tube. Better a cautionary note ahead of time than a lengthy
> response in the future to the question "how do I get sand out of the oil
> passages in my engine......?"

The answer is "Yes."

I clearly recall the guy in Canada who carefully followed the
information in his manual and "washed" his carbs in "Parafin."

The only "parafin" he could find was the clear wax used to seal jars
of preserves, so he melted a block of it and dipped the carbs in it.
Of course, they never worked again. Only after this did he learn
that in the UK, "parafin" is what we call kerosene.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm