Re: bloody breather gaskets

To: JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu
Subject: Re: bloody breather gaskets
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:24:55 -0600
You don't say which motor you're trying to stick these on.  1098 and 948
A series motors had them, as well as all B series motors.  It doesn't
make a lot of difference, except that the later B series (MGB 1800's) had
different breather systems that the early (MGA 1500, 1600, 1622).  My
point is that my experience is with the MGA version so I don't know how
instructions may differ for the later MGB motors with different breathers
on the panels.

In any case--

Get yourself a tube of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive aka Yellow Elephant Snot.
 It is basically a rubber cement.

Follow the directions on the tube, especially that bit about waiting at
least five minutes before putting the two pieces together.  Use it to
glue the gaskets to the panels.  Just to be sure, I put the two panels
together, gasket to gasket, and clamp them in a vise overnight.

I use a sparing amount of Hylomar on the block side of the gasket, after
making sure there is absolutely no oil on the block or the gasket (laquer
thinner is a good degreaser for this, but watch the paint!).  Hylomar is
available from Moss or your local Jaguar dealer.  Some auto parts store
have a Permatex version of Hylomar (made under license) but it ain't
quite the same as the British version.  Moss has both versions, the
British is listed under a Jaguar part number.  I use it for just about
every sealing job on my MGs.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD