1275 Gearbox - Jumping out of 3rd

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1275 Gearbox - Jumping out of 3rd
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:22:50 -0400
Listers,

         I rebuilt this gearbox last winter to repair bad first and reverse
gears. These gears now work fine but it now will frequently jump out of
third while accelerating so to avoid damage, I only put 20 miles on it
since the rebuild.

         The unit is once again on the bench and I have checked to ensure
all the detent balls and springs are in the correct position for the 3/4
shifting rod, which they are. My first thought is to replace the three
detent springs with new ones to ensure maximum pressure on the balls.
Nothing appears to be out of place.

         I would appreciate hearing from someone with experience in
rebuilding this transmission who can perhaps suggest another reason for
this happening.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Hamilton, Waverley, NS
Home of the 1973 Yellow Midget and Assorted Sunbeam-Talbots
Sunbeam Web Page: http:/home.ca.inter.net/~robertach/autos.htm

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///