Starting up a motor that's sat...

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting up a motor that's sat...
From: Peter Guagenti <peter@guagenti.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:11:16 -0800
I'm at a point in  my MGA Deluxe restoration where I'd like to start up the
motor.  It has sat for at least 6 years without having been started, but
I've been able to get the car to turn over with the hand crank.

How should I go about getting her started?  Anyone have advice on what I
should do and in what order? I was planning on changing the oil, overhauling
the radiator and hoses, and extracting the old fuel/replacing it with fresh
fuel.  What else should I consider?

I have one problem on top of this -- the cables that connected the single
12v battery the previous owner installed had welded themselves to the
battery posts.  I had to pull everything out together when extracting the
old, leaking battery. This left the cables back there a mess. Is there
anyway I could simply connect a battery under the hood to crank the car,
bypassing the rest of the electrical system?

Any advice is appreciated.  I really would like to fire this car up without
having to strip it down further.

Thanks.

-peterg

///