Did I buy a stolen vehicle?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Did I buy a stolen vehicle?
From: "Tim L. Creger" <timlc@agr.state.ne.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:14:41 -0600
Dear list:

I recently purchased a 1970 Midget.  The engine was pretty greasy over
the I.D. plate, so I didn't think anything of it at the time.  Now that
I've managed to get it home, cleaned it up a bit, and checked again, I
find that both the engine number plate and the vehicle number plate on
the inner wheel arch are missing.

The car has been sitting for 10+ years in a garage of a gas station
owner who took the car in trade from a local person that had a credit to
pay off.  He took the car  after it had sat idle for a couple of years.
I have the title, and so can get the VIN number off of that, but how can
I get the engine number?  The body I.D. plate is still intact on the
left door post.

I suspect that someone decided they needed the plates for another
restoration, but it sure puts me in an awkward position if I try to
register the car locally.

Any ideas on this one?

Twotims

///