How NOT to change your Oil....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: How NOT to change your Oil....
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:52:06 -0800 (PST)
Boy, dodged a bullet this week.... Last week-end, went into the garage and
started the '76B to let it run a bit - it had been a couple of weeks of
weeks since I had paid any attention to it.... Started pruning a tree at
the opposite corner of the house, then a neighbor stopped by, we
chatted... My younger son comes around the corner and mentions in passing,
'Gee, there's this big cloud of blue smoke coming out of the garage...'...
I immediately remember the MG running at fast idle... which it had been
doing for a GOOD 30 minutes.... So, I take off and shut her down, to the
accompaniment of a burning smell. Pop the hood, all looks fine although
there is a major haze in the garage.... Friday, I finally got a chance to
up, no problem, although the oil pressure gauge took a few seconds longer
to rise... Sounded a little louder than usual, but I pulled her right out
for a quick spin. No sooner had I gotten onto the road when the oil
pressure gauge started bouncing up and down (mostly down)... Pulled right
back into the garage, shut 'er down, and pulled up the dipstick - empty!!
Couple of quarts of oil, went back out today, and all is well....  Sheesh!

I did enjoy some top-down Christmas shipping today... High 40's here in
Central NJ.

Happy Holidays to all....

=====
Dan DiBiase