Re: Brakes and coil Springs

To: stevep <stevep@driversroad.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes and coil Springs
From: barneymg@ntsource.com
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 19:32:14 -0600
At 02:56 PM 12/23/01 -0800, Steve Petrosky wrote:
>.... 58 MGA 1500
>1. how do I tell if the brake drums have enough material left to have
>turned ....

Original size is 10.000" inside diameter.  Do not machine beyond
10.060".  If in doubt, take then to your local machine shop for measurement.

>2.  Do the front coil need to be depressed and clamped to remove.  I've
>got frame sitting on jack stands with no body or engine in place.  Are the
>springs at their max length now? ....

Springs are not at their maximem length in assembly, but they will relax
nicely as the bottom spring pan is lowered.  For SOP for removal check
here: http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/mgb_susp

Note:  Without the body and engine you may have to add some weight to the
frame to allow a little lift at to unload the trunion bolt.  However, I
seem to recall assembling mine many years ago during restoration with no
body or engine present.  Maybe I had someone sit on the side of the frame
during assembly.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg