Re: Oil Viscosity. Was: How NOT to change your Oil....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Viscosity. Was: How NOT to change your Oil....
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 01:02:21 -0600
David Councill wrote:

> A fairly nice article although it was mostly stuff I already knew from
> testing motor oils and fuel in Colombia back in the 80s.
>
> But the reason why I am replying is a similar problem I had about two years
> ago. I usually change to 10W/40 in the winter. I bought a case of Castrol
> GTX and found the 10W/40 oil was clear (like water) and appeared very thin.
> I was convinced the oil was bad, but the store I bought it from said they
> had heard of no problems. My BGT ran fine with it in there although the oil
> pressure appeared to run maybe 5-10 psi lower than normal. Since then, the
> Castrol has always come in its normal darker color though. I can only guess
> that there was a change in the supply of crude at the time but hope that
> Castrol kept its normal specifications on the oil.
>
> Pour point is a big factor here - when it gets in sub-sero temps here
> (Montana), oil doesn't flow at all. Never keep spare containers of oil in
> the car during winter - you can't get it out.

When ice racing Minis in Ontario in 1965, the ambient temp was
usually around 30 below zero f. We kept the engine running all night
the night before the event, fearing it wouldn't start the next
morning if we didn't. We shut off the engine momentarily to check
the oil before the race day started; was two quarts low. We opened
the can with a can opener and spooned the oil-jello into the filler
opening, then capped it and started the engine again. It worked.

Minis are miraculous on the ice; our little 850 was in the lead
after five laps in the feature when the loong gooseneck shifter
broke off at the floor just as I was shifting from third to second,
leaving the car out of gear and out of the race.

Even though it was late after dark on a Sunday, we made it to the
dealer's in town by driving in second gear (pried into gear with a
screwdriver). The Dealer, Ted Oddy, opened the dealership garage and
called one of his men down to the garage at ten at night. We pulled
the shifter remains out and he welded the shifter back together so
we could drive home. Then Ted refused to charge us a penny. Them was
the good old days.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com