Re: Radiator / Thermostat Question on MGA DeLuxe

To: Peter Guagenti <peter@guagenti.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator / Thermostat Question on MGA DeLuxe
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:06:48 -0600
Peter Guagenti wrote:

> I'm in the process of overhauling the cooling system on my DeLuxe (the first
> step in trying to get the engine running again) and I was hoping for some
> advice.
>
> The radiator is off the car and after inspecting it I discovered that there
> is a great deal of a soapy film collected throughout the radiator.  It
> appears to be the residue from the old coolant.  What's the best way to
> clean it?  Should I simply bring it down to the local radiator shop and have
> them take car eof it?

That's what I would recommend.

> The thermostat housing will not come off.  I've removed the nuts holding it
> in place, tried gently prying it up from the edges, but it won't budge.  Any
> tips for removal?

Only once have I had a t-stat housing that simply wouldn't come off
no matter what. I double-nutted the studs and pulled them, then used
a block of wood against the side of the housing and a hammer to
break it loose. Usually the block and hammer will do the trick
without removing the studs. Warning: the studs may break off if you
try to pull them; I recommend using lots of liquid wrench down the
studs & stud holes, letting it soak overnight, if you try to pull
them. Also use slight back and forth force to break them loose,
rather than a constant force.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com