Re: What a sad time it is

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What a sad time it is
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 14:05:14 +1030
Valerie Stabenow wrote:

> HI and WHAT are bowsers?

Well, a bowser isn't a dog it is a petrol pump (not a gas pump because
most of our LBCs do not run on LPG gas but there *are* gas bowsers at
most petrol stations now). You have to be multi-lingual to be on this
list (like a bonnet is the big flap of metal that you lift to work on
your engine and a hood is the thing you fold back or take off altogether
if you are a proper MG nut).

> I live in Illinois/USA, so this is a new one for me.

That is why I now include my country of origin in my .sig and why I said
"2002 marks a sad year here in Australia". This list can be a little
US-centric at times so it is best to make these things clear (including
things like what State you are in when you are selling something) right
up front.  To make my life easier I will often use US terminology unless
I am spewing forth passionately or in a grumpy mood :-)

With no regular mechanical or pollution-control checks on cars here
(particularly in *my* State in Australia) we have a very big ownership
of older vehicles so we have managed to hold off this unleaded fuel
thing longer than some.  Not long enough as far as I am concerned.  I
think the fuel companies have actually driven the push to drop leaded
fuel - certainly not the general public - and there have been fibs told
to make it happen.

As I mentioned previously, my car runs wonderfully on AVGAS 110/115
octane.  Anything below 100 octane and she pinks nastily when low in
gear.  Of course with a bit of work I can stop that... but I hate to
fiddle with the thing when it works so well and I am happy to pay my
$AU1.30 per litre when all around me are paying $AU0.87 per litre.  Why
shouldn't I be allowed to?

To my mind this is descriminatory in another way and that is against
poorer people who generally have older cars that run best/properly on
leaded petrol (Lead Replacement Petrol is NOT the same).

See what they have done to make my New Year happy... in fact it was one
of the first things I thought of when I woke up this morning (sad, isn't it).

 grrrrrrrr

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII