Re: engine advice

To: rrivenbark@cfl.rr.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine advice
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:52:00 EST
I'm going through that now with my early 5-main "GB" series engine.
I pulled the entire engine apart myself hoping to just "freshen up" with
rings and bearings.

This is a spare engine that my "buddies" convinced me to have magnafluxed (to
check for cracks) and boiled (to remove sludge and metal chips from wear)
rather than just re-assemble. This makes sense since I, like you, have no
idea what condition the engine is in. When you do this remember to have the
plugs removed and the "longitudinal" oil galleries. Have them cleaned and
re-plugged.

I'm glad I took the extra effort because we discovered that the crankshaft
was unuseable. I picked up a .010" under locally.

I brought all the parts to the machine shop. He worked up a list of approx
$1200 for everything including head work(less new guides and vavles if
needed).

This included a new ring gear, cam bearings, pistons, freeze plugs, main and
connecting rod bearings and a gasket kit. It also included boring the block
and regrinding the shaft (no longer necessary) and all necessary machining
and engine work.

Look for a machine shop that will let you find parts on your own without
penalizing you.

Set aside $1500 if you plan to do some of the work yourself.....more if you
don't

Bob Stahlbush

66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L