Fuel Pump Orientation

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Orientation
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:10:28 -0600
Sunday I was going to adjust the brakes on my son's 79 B and I noticed the
fuel pump was leaking.  Closer inspection showed it was an SU wannabe, a
round plastic aftermarket pump.  The plastic housing on the pump end was
cracked and leaking.  I had a new SU in the garage so I installed it, and
everything worked fine.  On the new pump the outlet was marked and near that
it was also marked TOP.  The hose from the fuel tank to the pump was too
short to allow the pump to be installed with the TOP marking up.  He had
over a half tank of gas so I didn't want to change the hose to allow the
pump to be rotated.  Will this matter?  It doesn't seem fuel pump
orientation should make any difference, but I'm not sure.  He got back to
college with no problems.

TIA and Happy New Year.

Ken

///