RE: Message CAN be traced! NO MG content!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.cx>
Subject: RE: Message CAN be traced! NO MG content!
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:58:35 -0500
Skye:

Since you chose to post your comments to me on the list, I must respond,
though I too am having enough of this now. This will be my final post to the
list on this subject. You'll have the last say.

>From what you just wrote and that I just read, we are in complete agreement.
Yes, that IS technically how it works.

However, I was addressing MG people, not to computer technicians. I was
trying to KISS AND the primary subject matter was really NOT about technical
matters. I am NOT going to challenge your technical knowledge but I do know
that what I said is accurate, especially looking at it from a simple
non-technical end user's perspective.

Regardless of technical theory, the end user, generally speaking, DOES often
get a different IP address using a dialup, which most, at least in my neck
of the woods, ARE DHCP, Earthlink and BellSouth being two of them where I am
certain of this statement. Additionally, the user DOES get a different IP
address often with mediaone.net broadband (junk). Many others I've seen work
this way too However, some, broadband mostly (such as DSL and some cable),
which is a smaller percentage of all connections (at least for now) in fact
may, as you said, get the same IP address for long periods.

However, even those are not STATIC IP addresses, that are permanently
configured into an individual user's computer, and configured permanently on
the other side  - and that is what I was talking about. . . . I know because
I have 300 computers running static IP addresses over a private frame relay
WAN - as opposed to using DHCP and the "pool".

I also DO know that some ISP's, especially with DSL, will sell, at extra
cost, a STATIC IP address, if that is desired or a requirement to connect
through another network firewall or something like that.

All that being said, there may be ISP providers out there that DO furnish
STATIC IP addresses as a base. I'm just personally not familiar with them.

I use winipcfg just about every day and ipconfig regularly. However, again,
I was talking to MG enthusiast, not computer techs. The IP_agent.exe program
I suggested is a simple, small, self contained, end user friendly,
non-technical, Graphical User Interface program, that with a simple one
button click, will immediately tell you the IP address you are currently
connected through at any time. I supplied it for the doubters of the
accuracy of what I was saying AND because it has some added tests for other
security issues as a bonus, that ipconfig and winipcfg do NOT have. Steve
Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation, the writer of this small utility, has
a great web site on security that is linked to this program. EVERYBODY loves
free downloads too!

I don't know about the list but in the my business, 80 percent of our people
are not very computer literate and if it's not right in front of them, they
get confused. This little program puts it right in front of them- and it is
educational. Did you bother to check to see what this program was - before
assuming it was worthless?

That is why on earth I would download something for that.

Finally, this discussion has gotten way off the original priority. All I was
trying to do, rather than challenge you or anyone else, was to show some
empathy, to get people to thinking and to understanding that e-mail CAN be
traced, that there are plenty of us that know how to do it and that people
like whoever sent that "Awards Committee" message about Albert Escalante and
Enrique Claure better beware!

I sincerely apologize to the list and I won't write any more on this
subject.

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mediaone.net