It sure smokes, but it does runs....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It sure smokes, but it does runs....
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:19:05 -0600
I just wanted to let all of you that have helped me this week, and there
are so many I can't list it here, that the car started while I was taking
my lunch hour  (it's nice to work form home).

Emptied the tank for a second time (this time using the fuel pump and
checking my new clear filter) and replaced that gas.  I also removed the
bowl covers and dashpots and soaked the bowls and jets with carb cleaner
overnight.  Plus I carefully removed thick gunk off of the needles and
checked the floats with a 1/8 drill bit.

At noon I went outside, soaked the carb cleaner out of the bowls, used the
plastic nozzle on the carb cleaner to spray through the jets, replace the
dashpots and bowl covers.  Next I put two gallons of new gas in the tank
and let the fuel pump restore pressure.  Finally a shot of starter fluid in
each carb and once it caught it stayed running.

I left it running for about 5 minutes, I checked and added more water to
the radiator.  It is smoking badly.  A gray-brown smoke with oil in it (as
seen on the floor and chair sitting behind the exhaust.  What does
Brown-Gray smoke mean?

Between the oil from the compression test and the carb cleaner I know had
to have gotten in there from last night, no telling what all it is burning
on to of the normal bad rings.

Other observations, the car was idling fast, but smooth, to the tach (which
was working, but no testament to accuracy) the car was running around 1500
to 2000 RPM's .  I closed the choke after about 2 minutes, w/o any
noticeable effect on running.  The car backfired a little out of the carbs
when I tapped the gas, but not every time (I tried this 5 or 6 times)  The
ignition light did go out which I hope means they charging system is
working.  The oil pressure was just about 50 pounds.

All in all I'm still pretty happy, not many $300 cars run!!!!  I plan on
changing the oil again tomorrow now that it started.

THANKS TO EVERYONE.....
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert
1967 MGB

New Website!!!!  All New Format!!! All New Location!!!!
http://carport.virtualave.net/

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///