Re: Missing word/Magnette/Saloons/e-Bay

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Missing word/Magnette/Saloons/e-Bay
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:06:46 -0600
Bullwinkle wrote:

> Elliot:
>
> It's most likely an MG 1100 or 1300.

Mostly like Austin America (1300), known as Austin 1100 in Canada
and UK (smaller engine), but with fancy MG grill and a few other
perks. Nice car.

> These were a developed from the
> Mini.  It has a transverse BMC A series engine with front wheel drive
> and offered a little more space and "luxury" than the Mini.  I am pretty
> sure they also had "hydrostatic" suspension.

Good memory! Close! "Hydrolastic" is the word: rubber ball "springs"
like the Minis, with hydraulic lines to the units that take the
place of dampers (shocks) so the car tends to stay level. This
didn't work very well under full competition usage, but was really
wonderful in normal driving conditions, provided a smooth ride like
a bigger car, with the handling of a small car. They were also
really big inside.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com