Smith Speedometer- Testing

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smith Speedometer- Testing
From: "John Shidler" <allfacts@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:24:20 -0600
Hello, I am wondering if there is anyway to test a Smith Speedometer with it
uninstalled. When I bought my '68B  a month ago,
none of the gauges or instruments were working. I believe it is because they
were installed wrong. TPO was trying to put in a new dash
an screwed it up. I have the dash at a trim shop now having it straightened
out.

The Smith Speedometer s/n 5226/03 1280 has obviously been opened before. I did
the same and straightened the shaft that the pointing needle sits on as it was
bent. The the needle only moves in the counter clockwise direction because of
a wire stop at "0". Is this correct?

If, I move the needle CCW, there is spring tension that returns the needle to
"0". If I turn the black plasitc insert in the right angle drive, the needle
will move CCW. I am totally confused. Any help is appreciated.

John Shidler
Shreveport, Louisiana
'68 B

///