Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA - Questions

To: rock@rocky-frisco.com
Subject: Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA - Questions
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:45:06 -0600
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:49:11 -0600 Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
writes:
> Any advice about placing an MGB engine and transmission in a Mk II
> MGA? I have the MGA on the paving behind the house and the MGB
> engine and three MGB transmissions under a tarp. Am I right in
> assuming I will need to make up motormounts and possibly an
> odd-length drive-shaft?

There is lots of information about this in NAMGAR literature.  See their
website.  I put a MGB engine into my MkII a couple of years ago, but I
used the original tranny.

Short answer if you want to put both the MGB tranny and engine in
together:

The motor mounts are fine.  Your problem will be with the tranny.  You'll
have to fabricate a different mount for it, and yes, you'll need a
shortened driveshaft.

You'll also need to use the MGA exhaust manifold or headers or alter the
MGB one.

Other than that, it is pretty straightforward.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer