Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:42:24 -0600
At 10:04 AM -0500 1/11/2002, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/11/02 3:32:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:
>

>Not necessarily - it can be done without altering the MGA frame if you make
>up an adaptor.

I respectfully disagree. Installing the  LH overdrive does not work
with the original frame. Resting the transmission directly on the
frame cross member places the engine-transmission at the wrong angle.
The top of the fan is in the radiator. I do not know if that is the
case with the earlier overdrive but this is the case with the LH
unit. Been there, done that!

>>  You will have to modify the transmission tunnel a wee bit and will
>>  have to place the shifter hole a bit (about an inch) forward of where
>>  it was originally.
>
>And a 1 1/8" extension on the stock driveshaft for the B OD trans is needed.

Again, with all due respect, I disagree. You will be able to hook up
with that length, but you run the risk of running out of travel in
full extension situations

>You will alst have to reshape the shifter lever to
>>  give you clearance from the dash in 1st and 3rd.
>>

>Indeed, if you have the defroster panel there, this is mandatory. Heating and
>bending works well.
>
>>  You might also want to consider the B 3.90 final drive gears.
>>
>What on earth for? You have just added an OD trans that gives you a 3.28 top
>gear (with the 4.1 diff of the Mk 2 of the person that asked the question, or
>3.44 with a 4.3 diff).
>
>What you might want to do is go the other way! Fit a 4.55 diff and have
>enhanced acceleration, still with a more relaxed top end than you had with
>the old MGA diff.
>
>If you fit a 3.9 as you suggest, the only upside is the higher and more
>usable 2nd gear; the downside is significantly decreased performance through
>the gears!

Again I strongly disagree. With that combination the first gear is
almost unusable, very like the "grandma" first in the trucks I drove
as a kid on the ranch. Additionally, it becomes extremely easy to
break loose the rear tires. This is quite easy with a healthy 1800
and a 3.90 rear end. With the 3.9 you get a very usable 1st gear,
sprightly performance through the gears, increased top speed, very
comfortable cruising at interstate speeds and 30 MPG at legal speeds.

>Bill

There are several of us in the Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri area who
have tried the several different combinations. What I recommend
works. It has over 35000 miles of testing in my "57 over the past 4
years.

--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/