Value of 1960 MGA? (Help)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Value of 1960 MGA? (Help)
From: info@theyeagergroup.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:26:24 -0600
Greetings,

I cant believe that I sent this to 3 British car lists and got only one
response.  I have
tried not to be nearly as clever with the subject title this time.  Perhaps my
question will
be taken more seriously this time.  I really need some input.

I really need to do something with our 1960 MGA project car.  I have not been
able to
do a thing to it in quite some time and am not sure when I will have the time
or the
space to work on it. I currently have it stored at my parents house in Dallas,
Texas.  For
some reason they would like it out of the garage and attic.   :-)

As I see it I have 3 choices due to my current space and economic situation:
(1) rent a
place to store the car and its parts,  (2) sell it as, (3) haul it to the dump
(just kidding).

I have no idea what the MGA is worth or if anyone would be interested.  If I
could get
some comments on what the car is worth in its present condition and fully
restored I
would be very appreciative.  If I continue to store the car I need to have an
idea what
the car is worth for insurance.  I have a close friend (owns 2 MGBs and a
Porsche 924)
that may be interested adopting the car but neither of us has a clear idea of
its current
or potential value. (What is a fair price for a parts car with new parts?)

Please reply personally as the lists have likely seen this discussion before
and I will be
unsubscribing from the MG list soon.  Additionally, if anyone (or if anyone you
know)
would like to give this car a good home please let me know.

I was in the middle of a frame up when I decided to pursue a doctorate in
education
research. The 1960 MGA is in labeled boxes and zip-lock bags.  Most of the new
parts
have been acquired except for the interior, as I wasnt going to buy leather
until just
before the installation.  I have a rebuilt engine (Paeco Industries,
Birmingham, AL),
rebuilt transmission (Moss Motors) and new performance engine and suspension
parts
(various suppliers).  The car has the factory wire (spoke) wheels.

The chrome is in good to fair shape except for the front bumper that has a dent
or two.
There is evidence of some light collision damage in the front (very easily
repairable).
The rest of the body is straight and rust free.  The aluminum body parts are in
good
shape.  The frame is strong and has only light surface rust.

The car needs to be painted, assembled, and the details filled in.  I have over
$10,000
invested.  (Yes, I know, dont rub it in.)

Thank you in advance for all your help.  I have found the British sports car
community to
be a great bunch of folks.

Our TR6 and its story can be seen at:
http://www.theyeagergroup.com/triumph_tr6.htm