Re: Horn Problems

To: "All The Facts Investigations" <allfacts@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re: Horn Problems
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:08:31 -0000
The horns are sounded by grounding a purple/black at the column - according
to Clausager centre-push on all but 67 (i.e. MkII) -70 (NA) and 1970 (ROTW).
So an NA 68 model *should* have the horn on the stalk.  If it hasn't it's
either a Mk I or an import.  Unless someone else has the same you are on
your own if grounding that wire at the top of the column sounds the horns
but the horn-push doesn't.  The ground comes from the column itself, there
is no specific ground wire for the horns although there is for the washers.

If grounding that wire *doesn't* sound the horns then there is more you can
check.  Sometimes the column has a poor ground so check against a known good
ground as well as the column.  If still no go, with the wire grounded check
the purple/black and purple wires at the horns.  You should have close to 0v
on the purple/black and close to 12v on the purple.  If the purple/black is
much higher than 0v, or the purple is much lower than 12v, you have a bad
connection or break in that wire.

That is for cars up to 76 at least, some point after that 12v was fed via
the horn push on the purple/black and the horns were backed with a ground
but a similar test can be carried out.