Re: Danny's MGA resore questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Danny's MGA resore questions
From: "Harold W. Roeth" <hroldlbt@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:01:00 -0500
At 11:50 AM -0700 1/27/2002, "Danny" <dannyvarnado@cox.net>
Subject: mga wrote:
>Hi,  I recently bought a 58 roadster with a 58 coupe parts car.  I'm going to
>restore the roadster to be used as a daily driver. I have several questions
>which I would like to ask. I hope these questions don't sound to silly, but I
>have never had any dealings with MGs.  My last British car was an 80 TR-7
>which I bought new but had to go when the children started coming.
>
>1. Is there any way to convert the front drum brakes to disk?
>2. Is there any way to install a late model 5 speed on a 1600 engine?
>3. Would wire knock-off wheels or steel wheels be better? ( the coupe has the
>knock-offs)
>4. Would it be better to install performance parts in the 1600 engine or
>install a MGB engine?
>5. If the 1600 engine is adequate, what modifications would make it the best
>it can be.
>I would appreciate any help I can get.

Danny:

If you are a member of NAMGAR (I checked our list for Danny Varnado
and did not find it) then you can obtain reprints of the tech
articles that have appeared in MGA! Magazine. They cover your
questions Nos 1, 2, and 4. We also have staff that can answer your
specific questions about MGB engines in an MGA.

You can see and download the tech article index on our web site
<www.namgar.com> however reprints, at a nominal cost, are only
available to NAMGAR members. We would like to have you register your
MGA with NAMGAR. There is no charge for that, but membership for
other services, including the bimonthly magazine devoted exclusively
to the MGA, is $25 per year.

Good luck on your restoration. You are asking all the right questions.

Regards

--
Hal Roeth
Editor/Publisher, MGA! Magazine