too much fuel

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: too much fuel
From: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:52:07 -0500
Hello,
I had my 74 MGB out for a ride yesterday and everything seemed fine. Near
the end of the ride though, it seemed to lose its zing and started running
almost like it was deprived of fuel and the idle speed dropped down to about
500 rpm. I checked the ignition and the points and timing seem to be in
spec. The dizzy cap is new. The plugs have 100 miles on them and the plug
wires have about 1000 miles on them. The car has a 71 engine with hs4 carbs,
which were reshafted and bushed about 100 miles ago. I went ahead and set
them up to tune them just to make sure all was well, and started the car.
Gas dripped out of the bowls and I tightened their loose lids. I also
noticed the the vent tube was full of gas, which probably means the canister
is flooded as well. The floats in the bowls are new and I checked them for
leaks. There were none. The jets in the bowls are new. The fuel pump is a
new SU that I installed 200 miles ago. Are these pumps prone to trouble? Is
there anything else I'm missing? Let me know if you need additional
information, and thanks for your help.
-Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list