Heads Up - New E-Mail Virus

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heads Up - New E-Mail Virus
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:40:36 +1030
Just an advance warning.  It appears this is VERY new (like, the first

warnings ever have gone out within the past day - probably even the last 6
hours).  Well, the first warning in Australia went out about five minutes
ago - so maybe the rest of the world has been ravaged by this already (I

wanna be here when the bomb drops - we may never find out about it).

Title
=====
Malicious Software Report - W32/Myparty@MM

Detail
======

This mass-mailing worm arrives in an email message containing the
following information:

Subject: new photos from my party!
Body: Hello!

My party... It was absolutely amazing!
I have attached my web page with new photos!
If you can please make color prints of my photos. Thanks!

Running the attachment infects the local machine. The virus copies itself
to C:\Recycled\regctrl.exe and executes that file. The users default SMTP
server is retrieved from the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account
Manager\Accounts\00000001

The virus uses this SMTP server to send itself out to all addresses found
in the Windows Address Book and addresses found within .DBX files.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///