RE: computer problem-NON LBC CONTENT

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Monte Morris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: RE: computer problem-NON LBC CONTENT
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:27:22 -0500
Hope that nobody is offended. Anti-virus information. Has no LBC content but
that IS clearly identified in the "Subject" field. You can just skip it if
no interest to you. However, I often see lots of reference to this subject
and this may be some good stuff about virus prevention for some of you.

Just sharing my experience in this area:

Responding to the earlier post by Monte Morris:

Norton is a very good anti-virus program. Almost too good. I have found that
Norton assumes that people know more about computers than they actually do.
Norton notifies the user of just about any activity that even COULD be virus
related, even if it is not, and that is what is happening to you here.

The files that you mention below appear NOT to be virus activity but rather
are part of the Internet Explorer file system. This is a major part of your
operating system and usually only would be accessed during an installation
and writing of a critical OS file to your hard disk - - as you are doing
with your upgrade attempt. Norton is just notifying you of the event.

By clicking exclude, you are stopping the file from being written each time
so it keeps trying next time. If you click continue, the file should finally
get properly written to the hard disk and the warning should not appear
again.

HOWEVER, you should NOT click continue for everything, because it COULD be a
virus the next time, and if your computer skills are such that you don't
know the difference, you need to get a simpler anti-virus program. Norton
has a lot of settings in it that must be configured correctly, and that
takes some ability that some people don't (maybe care to) have.

McAfee, Norton's major competitor, has a relatively new subscription service
named McAfee VirusScan ASaP. It really IS absolutely the best thing since
sliced bread! They have approximately 1,000,000,000 subscribers already.
There is virtually NO configuration to it and the updates happen
automatically behind the scenes, while you are on the Internet, with
absolutely NO action required by you, other than to be connected to the
Internet long enough to communicate with its McAfee home base. The install
is a very easy download and only takes a few simple clicks from the
Internet. I purchased 350 2 year subscriptions for my company and it is
working wonderfully for us. Has already prevented hundreds of viruses from
getting through our system. NOT EVEN ONE VIRUS INFECTION since installed 120
days ago! I have absolutely NO personal interest or profit motive in this -
and I seldom recommend anything or anyone, and I am NOT a tent revival
conversionist - but this really IS a good program. I believe the cost is
about $58.00 a year to the individual home subscriber. Well worth every
penny in my opinion.

Here's the link: https://www.mcafeeasap.com/asp_subscribe/trial_vs.asp.

You can get a free trial too (for two weeks). Please note that the install
WILL delete your Norton (or most other anti-virus program) installation
though because two anti-virus programs can't co-exist on one computer.

My personal website, address below (but changing soon due to stinking,
rotten, dreaded mismanagement by AT&T, but the only game in town for me
right now), in addition to having lots of MG and other personal stuff, also
has some good anti-virus information and links on it too. You might want to
read up. Just scroll down to and click on "Jerry's Tech Tips" and then
scroll down and click again on "Computer Viruses".

My qualifications: Approximately 10 years as MIS Director of my company,
taking care of 320 plus computers in 26 different locations around the city.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mediaone.net