pinion gear

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: pinion gear
From: Monte Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:46:11 -0800
I'm trying to change a left front motor mount but can't figure out how to
remove the pinion(rod?) from the gears on the rack. I have loosened the
steering wheel and pulled it backwards towards the rear of the car. This
pulled the pinion rod loose from the bottom of the U-joint. I removed the
cover for the pinion gear housing and the lock nut, washer, and bearings.
The rod will pull slightly upwards when I pull from the U-joint end, but
the pinion will not come free from its housing. How do I get it free?

Next question:
There is a heavy weight oil in the pinion gear housing that, of course,
drained out when the cover was removed. How do I go about replacing the oil
with the rack remaining on the car? I can see no filler vent.
Thanks,
Monte 79B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list