Re: Insurance costs?

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>, "Daniel Silverman" <dans@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: Insurance costs?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 11:18:35 -0700
At 11:40 AM 3/2/2002 -0500, Mike Razor wrote:
>No.  But let me know, I have a 17 year old that  is bugging me to drive the
>MGs.  It is only fair that I let him, he works on them as much as I do.
>Mike

I'm surprised no one answered this yet with figues, although there is
really no set amount. I can say that it could easily be in the neighborhood
of $1000 per year and just for liability. Much still depends on where you
live and your driving record. Males under 25 get hit with the highest
premiums since the insurance companies consider them high risks. However,
they may will provide some discounts if you have taken driver education
and/or if you have good grades in school (I think its B average or higher
for my insurance company).

To insure my 17 year old son, driving a 65 MGB, in Montana, costs almost
$800 per year for liability only. Due to the rural nature of the state, our
premiums are lower than in most states, plus I insure through USAA which
seems to have the lowest rates but is very selective on who they insure
(mostly military with clean driving records).

When I was trying to find insurance as a new driver over 20 years ago, I
found similar hurdles - reluctant insurance companies with outrageous rates
for liability only. In the end, I found the cheapest rates were through my
old man's policy (later I split off from there onto my own policy through
the same insurance company).

The best choice is to contact several insurance companies for a quote and
then see if its best to "bite the bullet" and use the parent's policy if it
is any better than that. But prepare to pay a lot  - there is no way around
that. For a teenager anyway. For my own MGs, I've gone to classic car
insurance.

David

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list