Navigation Rally preparation

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Navigation Rally preparation
From: "Tim & Cary" <tim_cary@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:02:56 +1100
OK guys (and girls)....

<Lurk mode OFF!!>

I've been on this list for a few years now...the last couple I've been
lurking, mostly as the B has been running OK (jinxed myself now!) and I've
been caught up in other things. (like a new job, and finishing learning to
fly, and stuff like that....)

BUT......for a number of years now the better half and I have been saying
"must get into classic rallies"
and recently she pointed out a bit in our local paper, which had some
details of a navigation rally in tasmania (small, very beautiful, and
mountainous island, south of mainland Aus)
As my 40th is approaching, she thought that this might be a very nice way to
spend it.....10 days, 1800 miles, across tasmanian mountain roads,
coinciding (as spectators) with the last bit of the Targa Tasmania, and on
many of the same stages. And if you haven't heard of the Targa Tas, SHAME ON
YOU!

Anyway, the point is......

I have a 600 mile trip to melbourne, then the ferry across, then 1800 miles
round tassie, then 600 miles back........

So far I have:
- fitted a thermo fan (Tassie can get bloody cold, want heater working)
- getting a late model hood fitted, so I can get the hood up and down
quicker
- re-padded seats
- ordered a retrotrip
- gone over the brakes, suspension, etc etc and double checked everything
- planned a full service for just before I go
- got a spares kit ready, consisting of:
top end gasket kit
5 litres oil, 5 litres coolant, fan belt, oil filter, fuel filter, points,
plugs, rotor, dist cap, leads, condenser, fuses, electrical wire, gaff tape
& mobile phone (the classic owner's best friends)

The car's pretty sound, basically a warmed over 66 B (suspension, engine,
brakes all mildly tweaked)

anyone got any other ideas or suggestions??

cheers....

tim

66B rdstr
YGHN3-3238