back on and fuel smell

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: back on and fuel smell
From: "Erich" <erich@mail.NGBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:55:16 -0500
Hello list,

Well Im back on after a 6 month hiatus trying to get my thesis finished for
school.  Interesting to jump back into the list again.

A problem had developed with my 1980 MGB.  The past few weeks I have noticed a
faint smell of gas in the cockpit after I park for a few minutes.  This happens
no matter what the gas level is. Today, it was much worse.  Smelled like
someone had dumped a good gallon of gas in the car.  This was after a 15 minute
run at highway speeds.  I was at away from home and checked the fuel lines,
looked fine (they are only 6 months old).  Let things air out a bit, and
started up.  The car ran like it was flooded for about a minute and then was
ok.  Anyone have an idea where to look for problems?  I dont know if it is
related, but the smell started developing shortly after I got a new catalytic
converter and Falcon exhaust installed.  I have heard that there can be
manifold problems if these are incorrectly installed.   Also, the exhaust down
tube is starting to turn a blue/purple color.  Is this to be expected?  I know
on a bike with chromed pipes this suggests a weak mixture, but the end of the
pipe looks like its running rich.

Thanks,

Erich- 1980 MGB
           1970 Norton Commando