banshees under the hood

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: banshees under the hood
From: Aubrey Schneider <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:50:36 -0800
Last year I did an engine rebuild on my '75B. All parts replaced, as
well as the oil pump.
Within 3 months a terrible shreeking sound started coming from the motor
but only when it was cold. As the car warmed up, the noise would
disappear.
I re-tightened all belts, replaced some, used lubricants where
appropriate & the noise disappeared for 8 days. It started again & I am
unable to pinpoint the reason.
Some symptoms are:
At night headlights dim
Loss of power when the noise is audible & an increase when noise
disappears.
I have checked manuals, spoken with experts & have had numerous
suggestions thrown at me, none of which work.
Any ideas listers.
Thanks in a advance
Aubrey in Vancouver

///