Brake adjust sequence...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake adjust sequence...
From: "Menno Meijer" <menno.meijer@ict.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:35:34 +0100
Dear List,

After replacing handbrake parts (cable, springs)
I'm now trying to adjust it as good as possible.
Can somebody verify my sequence?

1: Release the handbrake lever as much down as
   possible but leave the cable attached to the
   handbrake levers.
2: Turn the drum-brake adjusters until the shoes
   touch the drum.
3: Apply the foot-brakes a couple of times in
   order to let the parts "set" themselves into
   position.
4: When applicable repeat step 2 and 3.
5: Adjust the nut on the handbrake cable.

Question 1:
Currently I'm uncertain about my step 2. May
the shoes touch the drum a little at some point?
At this moment I expect that my shoes touch the
drum at approx. 20 degrees during a 360 degrees
rotation of the wheel. I say "touch" because
also within these 20 degrees it's easy to rotate
the wheel. (In fact I "hear" that the shoe is
touching the drum)

In the past I've read that I should adjust the
brake adjuster until the drumbrake is fixed and
then turn back 1 or 2 steps of 90 degrees. If I
do this the shoe will touch the drums more than
they do now. (I'm affraid of overheating the
drumbrakes in this situation)

Note: as far as I know my footbrake is working
fine. (Unable to rotate the wheel by hand when
applying the footbrake)

Tomorrow I'll work on step 5.

Greetings,

Menno