Bad clacking in the B...help?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bad clacking in the B...help?
From: Greyson Crowe <nismoracerxe@icqmail.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2002 12:45:37 -0800
Hey there.  Just joined the list a bit ago.  My dad finally gave me the keys to
the 68 B.  Great little car that I have been stuck doin any upkeep on since we
got it 6 years ago.  Well I had the SU's rebuilt and attempte to tune them.
SOmetimes idles..but has a 165 degree thermo in it because it would heat up so
bad in the summer (gets about 85-105 here in Idaho).  Well I am moving back
home for the summer and will have time and money to make the MGB a fairly
reliable car.  I need to bleed the clutch/ brakes, get the carbs in-sync, fix
the bad ground, and now fix this clacking.  It started doin it this winter when
I was home on break.  I was being driven in 30-45 degree weather.  It clacks
real bad when first started...then calms when warmed..but still more than it
ever used to.  Timing chain or valves?  How should I go about adjusting them?
Thanx in advance,
Greyson
68 B