70 B vacuum reading

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 B vacuum reading
From: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:15:12 +0000
Where is the best place to get a vacuum reading?  I tried the vacuum port
(dist advance) on the rear SU (HS4).  I get around 5lbs at idle and up to
about 15 when rev'ed.  What numbers should I expect.

I want to try a reading at the manifold.  Does it matter which port I attach
to?  There are about four of them.

I vaguely remember someone talking about how they tune their engine based on
the timing that gives the most vacuum.  Is that a good approach to take?

BTW, I have a reground cam from Northwest and the valve gaps are set at .28.
  Would this affect the vacuum reading vs a stock cam?

Dereck