Re: Mk2 B Tunnel size

To: Donna and Doug Keeble <dkeeble@aeroinc.net>
Subject: Re: Mk2 B Tunnel size
From: Zubrovka <zubrovka@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:26:22 -0600
I saw a MGC GT with an automatic on the Trader site about a month
ago.  The car was in Oklahoma I think and looked pretty sharp.
I had been following this lists thread about buying a Clean B or C
over buying a new car and since my wife is wanting a new car I went
looking at what was out there.  Well, that suggestion bout landed me
out in the dogloo with the hounds!  Seems new car translates to BRAND
NEW and "I don't give a damn what they say on that MG list you're
reading!!!"
At least when I get the B on the road again I can remind her why she
doesn't want to drive it.
John

>The  MGB tunnel was in fact widened for the automatic trans option of
>'68 , no other  reason. It was so unpopular only several hundred  were
>ordered, and it was dropped without fanfare. I have never seen one in a
>B, maybe sold better in the UK.It was a 3 speed  Borg-Warner  also used
>in late 50,s Studebakers. Talk about slow,it  had no load sensed
>downshift, only throttle position sensing. To get a downshift on an
>uphill run you really had to floor it! Also offered on the C and not so
>uncommon. I,ve seen 4 in 20 or so years in the US. Maybe made as many as
>1500 of  roughly 9800 C,s worldwide. The  auto C had a 3.31 diff, useful
>in a BV8 if you could find one.The extra torque of the C made the auto
>box sort of  leisurely but livable  ......Doug Keeble

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///