Re: 2002 plans for my 68 MGB GT so far, please help. TIA

To: "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2002 plans for my 68 MGB GT so far, please help. TIA
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:06:26 -0700
At 01:04 PM 3/24/2002 -0500, Dan Furbish wrote:

>Are you saying Prothane bushings should not be used ?
>Are you saying I should replace the bushings with the OEM material ?

Maybe Paul was not thinking they were worth the price. You did mention $150
although I'm not sure where the figure came from. They actually cost quite
a bit less , about $3 per bushing of which you would need eight. The
"Prothane" offering is for a set, and you would get all eight in the kit
($26.95) plus you would need the upper arm set which should have four
bushings  ($10.50).

I installed polyurethane bushings on my front end a few weeks ago. I had a
kit though, part number 5-9951, "Energy Suspension" brand that included all
the bushings including those for the sway bar. They came in a box that came
with the 72B I bought last year, but it looks like they originated from
Victoria British at a current cost of $49.95. Not that I would buy from
them - I would have gone with Moss or a reseller.

I installed the set on my 72B which is still just a body with no drivetrain
at this point (my restoration is moving slowly - was going to work on it
this weekend by my heated garage was still too cold with the frigid outdoor
temps). They are certainly more durable than the original rubber - one of
the bushings had completely deteriorated even though I had replaced them
about 15 years ago. The polyurethane upper bushings are particularly nice -
it will make replacing the shocks much easier in the future. I always have
a hard time getting that one bolt out.

The polyurethane bushings are a little bit tougher to install but I think
they are worth the effort and extra cost at this point.

David
72 B
67 BGT

///