Re: Hyrdaulics Dot 4 vs DOT 5

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hyrdaulics Dot 4 vs DOT 5
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:23:04 EST
In a message dated 3/27/02 11:09:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mghirsch@netzero.net writes:

> I have seen DOT 5.1 Brake fluid.  It is non silicon and supposedly
> compatible
> with Dots 3 and 4.  Does anyone know anything about it?

Correct!  It is NOT silicone and is actually a higher spec DOT 4 fluid.  Who
knows why they called it DOT 5.1!!!  Just to confuse the issue, methinks.

Valvoline also makes a full synthetic (non-silicone) brake fluid that is DOT
4 rated and (supposedly) compatible with other DOT 4 fluids.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"