Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install.

To: "smarc" <smarc@abs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install.
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:51:24 -0000
If you can get the two shafts in alignment where the U-joint goes either by
use of the pukka tool or the work arounds, then unless either shaft is bent
(which will be shown as an eccentric instead of a concentric rotation when
either is pun) there will be no stress on the bearing.  Wheels off ground
the steering wheel should rotate with very light finger-tip pressure, and no
stiff spots.  Some 'rumbling' seems normal (in my sample of two).  The rack
takes 1/3 Imperial pt/0.4 US pt/0.2 litre) of EP SAE 90 oil.  Earlier racks
had an oil (not grease) nipple if you have a suitable oil-gun, otherwise the
factory recommended removing the big end of one of the gaiters and slowly
injecting the oil in there, whilst turning the rack from lock to lock to
distribute it.  The rack does not have 'sides' as far as lubrication goes.