Re: Novice brake job questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Novice brake job questions
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:59:41 EST
It's been a while since I worked on my brakes.  This is from memory.

> Victoria British. Both calipers have a small plastic plug where the brake
> line goes. On that plug are two copper washers. My research indicates that
> these are 'crush' washers. What I haven't been able to determine is why
> there are two copper washers supplied. Are they meant to be doubled up, put
> one on each end of the hose, or a spare?

One crush washer per contact surface.  The hose probably uses a bolt with a
hole in it that goes thru the metal end of the hose, which is usually
spueare, with a hole all the way thru it.  Use a copper washer at both ends
of the bolt.

> A second question: On one of my new calipers there is a small plug
> installed
> in the hole between the bleeder screw and the hose connection. On the other
> new caliper there is a small plastic plug with no cap installed. I checked
> the original calipers for comparison, one has a cap screw installed, the
> other doesn't even have a hole in that location. I'm assuming that I should
> cap that hole off, perhaps with the screw from the original caliper, or one
> of the new bleeder screws I have from a rebuild kit I didn't use.

I don't know what a plastic plug would do in a caliper.  Put it all together
and if brake fluid comes out around the plug, you need to put a better plug
in place!  In my '77 Midget there is a bolt in a hole on each caliper, in
addition to the hose and bleeder.  I think it may be a drain hole.

But when > dealing with brakes, I figure that what I don't know CAN hurt me!

Absolutely!  Safety Fast!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget