Speedo Cable.

To: "MG Newsgroup (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo Cable.
From: "McLaren, Doug" <doug.mclaren@electricalsafety.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:44:28 -0500
I am the fella who rebuilt the engine in my 78 B two years ago with
considerable input from many of you. The best piece of advice I got was to
change the marginal oil pump because I would really like the high oil
pressure. I have now put about 6500 miles on the car since the rebuild and I
still have 150 pounds compression and 75 psi oil pressure. This was my first
time doing an engine since high school some 40 years ago and I really
enjoyed the project. I also put in a mild cam, double sprocket timing setup,
hardened valve seats, over size intake valves, new clutch, pressure plate,
and release bearing, along with every original part from the oil pan to the
rocker cover.
This new found confidence is not necessarily a good thing. I have now bought
a second MGB, a 79, that originated in Texas and has an excellent body but
was maintained by a PO who was not too mechanical. I won't list all of the
things that didn't work but I have managed to fix most of them. However, the
speedo still does not work. I checked it out and found out that there is no
angle drive at the transmission and a "different" cable was installed
directly from the hub on the transmission looping out and up to the
speedometer. Should this work or is the angle drive a necessity?

Doug
78 MGB
79 MGB