Re: Vacuum hose routing

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>,
Subject: Re: Vacuum hose routing
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:33:25 -0700
I guess I will contribute since it looks like only Barney has replied, at
least on list.

It is to my understanding that a compression reading of 125-130 is typical
of the lower compression 8:1 engines that were produced starting with the
18V series or thereabouts (starting 1971 or 1972?). The 160 compression was
the range for the 9:1 compression engines, as in the 18G engines and UK
version of the 18V. But as Barney said, the key is evenness in the readings.

When I bought my 71BGT, it had consistent readings of 90 on all four
cylinders. It ran fine and power was good - it just liked to use a lot of
oil, a quart every 200-300 miles. I eventually rebuilt the engine when I
was ready.

As far as the hoses, you had it right the first time. Now you don't. The
hose from the crankcase should have a Y fitting that then has two hoses,
each connecting to each carb. I don't think your new connection would have
any effect to the running of the car unless the crankcase breather was
plugged. You could try connecting a clean hose to it and blowing into it to
see if there is any back pressure.

I had a problem with the crankcase breather on a 65B in which there was one
because it was a newer 18V engine - but with old SU carbs that do not have
those vent connections. Some listers suggested I just vent the crankcase
tubing rather than seal it, and it worked. So I don't see anything
detrimental to your hookup except that its not right (but the only people
who would know would be those who know their MGs and/or SU carbs).

David
72 B
67 BGT