Re: ZS Confusion

To: "frank krajewski" <frankk@intap.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ZS Confusion
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:05:53 -0800
With all due respect to Bob Holton (who posted a separate response to
Frank's post and who may have more years of experience with Z-S carbs then
me, for all I know), a Z-S carburetted MGB engine will start but will not
run "just fine" without the air cleaner on. If it does, then it is not tuned
correctly! As the Moss book says, these are very sensitive carburetors
(note, I didn't say efficient!) and they are set up to comply with emissions
requirements with the air cleaner in place. As such, they are not delivering
a proper mixture down that convoluted intake manifold when the air cleaner
is off.

John Twist's advice about testing the mixture strength by raising the piston
a little bit is very applicable to SUs, but not to Z-S carbs. With a Z-S,
all you can really do is adjust the mixture for the fastest, smoothest idle
(as always, after making sure the ignition system is in perfect working
order and that none of the emissions valves are malfunctioning). Our 4-gas
analyzer shows that very small adjustments, via both the needle adjustment
and the trimmer screw on the side, make a noticeable difference in the
exhaust gases. This, of course, also tells how efficient the engine burn is.
So, for optimum engine performance, it's best to have the final adjustments
made - with the air cleaner in place - by someone with a 4-gas analyzer.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center