crack of doom

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: crack of doom
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:26:55 -0500
I'm probably going to be getting our 79B painted this summer (carmine, the
original color). The paint is original. The body is in very good shape, no
rust that I can see, but it does have the "crack of doom" by the mirror on the
driver's side door.
Do you just have this crack welded and ground down, or what are the other
alternatives besides a new door panel?
Also, It seems many listers are going down to bare metal before painting. I
realize that you could see any problem areas this way, even small ones, but is
this really necessary if the car has been garaged for most of it's life and
shows no outward signs of rusting? The original undercoating is still in place
and shows little signs of wear. I would like to keep this car for many years
and would like to do things right, but really want to avoid dismantling the
car and sanding to bare metal, if avoidable.

Monte 79B and 74 1/2 parts car
Kahoka, MO USA