Re: Salute to "Private Andrew Malones"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Salute to "Private Andrew Malones"
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:44:18 EDT
mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net writes:

>     The song talks about a fellow that purchases his "dream car" that was
> sitting in a garage for years, like many of us have done.  In the glove box
> is a note stating that(and I paraphrase) "if you are reading this note then
> I was not able to come back home from serving my country but please take
> this dream of mine and carry it on as your own".  And the song goes on
> jerking the tears, as it should, and explains how lucky this new owner
> feels
> to have his dream car all because of somebody else's sacrifice for his
> country.
>     This made me realize how many of us are fortunate enough to be driving
> somebody else's dream made possible by someone else's sacrifices.  And I
> mean this in a bigger sense than the material means.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Lister Biff Jones on the Spridgets list got his Sprite MkII under those exact
circumstances.  It is probably the lowest mileage Sprite in the USA.  Parked
in a garage when the owner went to Viet Nam.  He never came back and the car
sat for years because his parents couldn't part with it.  His father died and
his mother retired to Florida so the car had to go, with only 1700 miles on
the clock.  The original tires are still like new.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"