Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - No LBC

To: <CFritz7001@aol.com>, <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - No LBC
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:45:46 +0100
You are correct, Carl. Francis Chichester's aircraft was a Gipsy I Moth,
named 'Madame Elijah'. He bought it in Sept. 1929 and converted it to a
seaplane for the 1934 Tasman Sea crossing. The 'plane was blown upside down
by a hurricane, in the lagoon at Lord Howe Island and was rebuilt and
re-rigged by Chchester and the islanders. Mme. Elijah was later wrecked when
Chichester flew into telephone wires suspended across the bay at Katsuura,
Japan.

Info from the book, 'The Lonely Sea and the Sky', Francis Chichester, 1964.

David Hill
York UK