Re: time or tune first?

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>,
Subject: Re: time or tune first?
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:08:10 -0600
trust me on this one.  It is. it happens 2 ways that I know of from
personal experience with two different engines.

1:  You have the engine apart for a few weeks, then upon reinstallaion
you carefully check to make sure you are not 180 out (because you have
heard of this or already experienced) and then slide the dizzy in
knowing it is correct and click it into place where it feels good and
tight and clamp it on.  The edge of the tongue grabs enough to spin the
dizzy, you don't notice that it is not fully seated because it is in
all the way (or so it seems) and you don't remember what it looked like
before.   You are off to a 180-out-missfiring start attempt.  (Did it
about a year or two ago.)

2:  You get the car used (like many of us)  go to replace the wire, not
noting which ones you pluck because you have the manual anyway, wire it
back up with the new wires, and suddenly it runs awful.  Bad order on
the wires, double check it, nope.  Bad wires you think, so you
reinstall the old wires, same problem...   You spend the next few weeks
trying to sort it out, but can't seem to figure it out because by now
you have read the leyland manual, the haynes manual and asked around.
Finnaly defeateed, you take it in to a mechanic (on a tow truck flat
bed because it runs too badly to drive,) he checks the wires, finds
they are correct, checks the dizzy, finds it 180 out, does the other
misc things you asked him to do, charges you 30 minutes labor (about
what it all took) and you drive home,  (Did that one in early '97)  No
idea how it was running correctky, the mechanic and I guessed the PO
adjusted the wires to compensate, but never explored it further.

The number 1 above was on a '77 engine, the number 2 was on a '68
non-US  (18GD) engine.

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net